Jewish Community Center Maccabi Games Coordinator in Dunwoody, Georgia
The JCC Maccabi Games are an Olympic-style sporting competition held each summer in North America and are the second largest organized sports program for Jewish teenagers in the world.Since their inception in 1982, the Games have grown from a small pilot project in one host community to an annual event that welcomes thousands of competitors and fans to multiple sites nationwide.Today, more than 6,000 teens, ranging from 12-16 years of age, participate in the JCC Maccabi Games each summer, providing teens with a defining Jewish experience that they will remember for the rest of their lives.
During the JCC Maccabi Games, which span five days, athletes compete in a wide variety of sports such as baseball, basketball, soccer, flag football, track and field, volleyball, golf, table tennis, and swimming. The sports competitions are held in various sporting venues throughout the city.Each year, the Games are kicked off with Olympic-style Opening Ceremonies at a favorite hometown arena.One of the highlights of the week is JCC Cares, a day of community service where all teens come together to give back to their host city in a meaningful way.The intensive, hands-on, and meaningful experiences offered through the Games provide teens many, for the first time the opportunity to feel part of the greater Jewish people.
Job Summary:The JCC Maccabi Games Coordinator, under the supervision of the JCC Maccabi Director is primarily responsible for the smooth operation of the JCC Maccabi Central and all its functions.The Games Coordinator should be comfortable in operating basic computer functions (word, excel, power point) to maintain a very high degree of organization of all the records and administrative details necessary to implement this major program.
The JCC Maccabi Games Coordinator will work primarily Monday through Friday, including occasional evenings and Sundays as directed by the Director.Hours and days may change based on the need of the JCC Maccabi project.
Duties and Responsibilities leading up to 2019 Maccabi Games:
- Responsible for the registration of athletes, delegation heads, coaches, host families, volunteers, VIPs, staff, guests.
- Manage and maintain all Maccabi Games records
- Assist the Director as liaison with JCC staff, committees, visiting delegations, volunteers, guests and members.
- Manage mailings (both incoming and outgoing),
- Responsible for maintaining Maccabi meeting calendar including creating meeting invites and taking meeting minutes.
- Serve as principal administrator of a database of Maccabi Games which may include installing database software, and building database content to include thousands of active names over time.
- Responsible for communicating with host families.
- Collaborate with the Communications Manager.
Duties and Responsibilities during the 2019 Maccabi Games:
- Manage all administrative tasks while maintaining a post in JCC Maccabi Central
- Manage the catering for all athletes and coaches
- Manage the organization and notification of transportation issues, including daytime bus routes between venues, and transportation to and from evening activities
- Responsible for the printing and reprinting of lost credentials
- Maintain records of the athletes scores and update the Maccabi website
- Responsible for ensuring all athletes and coaches attend their assigned JCC Cares events
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Expertise in all Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team
- Ability to recognize and respond to change
- Ability to problem solve and offer solutions
- Ability to influence without authority
- Excellent people skills
- Excellent phone skills
- High energy and ambitious
- Willing to contribute at any level
Bachelors Degree preferred
Two years of related work experience, preferably with a not-for-profit organization
The JCC Maccabi Games Coordinator must be prepared to do whatever is necessary to help the Director and their staff, run a smooth and organized set of Games. Within the last several months of the program and during the program week itself, this will require considerable time above and beyond the normal 40-hour work week.The Games Coordinator must be able to work with a wide variety of volunteers and staff; and to remain calm while working under pressure.
Impacting more than 55,000 people annually, the Marcus Jewish Community Center of Atlanta is welcoming to people of all faiths, ages, and backgrounds. One hundred years ago, Jews with vastly fewer resources than today built a Jewish Community Center in Atlanta. With little more than their passion for a better life, they built a safe, secure, and vibrant community center for their families and for all of the Jewish Atlanta families who followed.
The MJCCA has always given the community a place to gather and connect with friends and family through meaningful programs and much-needed services. For 100 years, the MJCCA has turned everyday minutes into Jewish moments that are remembered for a lifetime.
Date Posted: 03/13/2018
Title: Maccabi Games Coordinator
JCC: Marcus JCC of Atlanta
Location: Dunwoody, GA