Enter the base name or location (i.e. "North Carolina" or "Pearl Harbor")
|Army||Air Force||Coast Guard||Navy||Marines|
Sr Systems Engineer: Open Systems Engineering - Linux (76882)
GA - Atlanta
Do you want to be part of a thrilling revolution influenced by technology? The Home Depot is a $70 billion business-focused environment where you can contribute in a variety of functional areas covering all aspects of the consumer value chain. We are currently managing leading software packages and technology platforms to deliver creative results to our business partners and customers. We need people who understand how best to apply technologies to solve problems and develop innovative solutions. If you are looking for an opportunity to see instant, progressive, and substantial business benefits from your technology talents and experience, it’s the perfect time to join The Home Depot.
As an IT professional you have expert knowledge in one or more programming languages or databases. Because of your excellent understanding of the entire project life cycle, you have the ability to direct project teams in the gathering, design, and development of complex applications/programs. You get to work closely with and learn from the brightest minds to ensure proper system design. Your role ensures highest quality implementations from design through quality insurance to production. You anticipate hardware and software design needs to take pre-emptive action. Our IT professionals support multiple team members and other project leads in day-to-day activities related to project work.
The Sr. Systems Engineer is responsible for design, build and support of Linux server infrastructure in Home Depot data centers, stores and distribution center environment. This includes hardware platform, adjunct devices such as RAID arrays, LINUX operating systems and other common software packages. Engineer will be part of a team that develops and executes infrastructure projects for data centers, stores and dc's, provides L4 operational support, creates and maintains tools for support, provides mentoring and training to IT Operations and IT Help Desk associates, and engineers the store / DC backup solution. Performs root cause analysis for issues; propose and develop preventative measures.
* The Sr. Systems Engineer develops, maintains and supports The Home Depot's technical infrastructure, hardware, and system software components for moderately complex projects.
* Performs configuration, debugging and support for multiple infrastructure platforms on moderately complex projects.
* Performs root cause analysis for service interruption recovery; create preventative measures and present to management.
* Perform store & SSC engineering and roll-out implementation. Ability to present ideas and manage projects. Interface with Business Stakeholders on complex projects. Update manager on escalated issues. May operate as a team lead guiding newer associates or interns.
On- site and local perks:
•Choose from a variety of benefit plans designed to meet your individual and family needs.
•Take part in company Success Sharing – an incentive program based on sales performance.
•Receive Homer Awards” that lead to cash incentives for consistently demonstrating behaviors that reflect The Home Depot’s values.
•Work out at our on-site gym that offers classes and state- of- the- art equipment.
•Eat at our on-site cafeteria that offers a plethora of options or enjoy discounts at neighborhood restaurants.
•Pick up prescriptions on-site at the CVS pharmacy.
•Bank On-site at our Credit Union.
•Drop your child off at one of the largest corporate on-site daycare facilities.
MAJOR TASKS, RESPONSIBILITIES AND KEY-
* Perform installation, maintenance and support of system software, hardware and infrastructure and user support for moderately complex projects. May oversee this effort if acting in team lead capacity.
* Perform store & SSC engineering and roll-out implementation.
* Perform configuration, debugging and support for infrastructure platform for moderately complex projects.
* Perform root cause analysis for service interruption recovery; create preventative measures.
* Provide technical direction to System and Associate Engineers, Operations Specialists, and contractors.
* Interface with Business Stakeholders on all applicable projects. Update manager on all escalated issues.
NATURE AND SCOPE-
* Typically reports to Manager, Information Technology
* Responsible for helping others and providing on-the-job training or guidance
Must be eighteen years of age or older.
Must pass the Drug Test.
Must successfully complete any required training or orientation courses.
The knowledge, skills and abilities typically acquired through the completion of a high school diplomas and/or GED.
YEARS OF RELEVANT WORK EXPERIENCE- 5+
PHYSICAL JOB REQUIREMENTS-
Frequent periods are spent standing or sitting in the same location with some opportunity to move about; occasionally there may be a need to stoop or lift light objects (typically less than 8 pounds).
Knowledge and experience with computer hardware, operating systems and system software.
•Minimum 6 years of experience with server hardware, building LINUX operating systems, and LINUX administration
•Experience designing and building virtualized and physical Linux server solutions for application teams.
•Strong LINUX scripting skills. Programming experience a plus.... eg AWK, PERL, C, Flex.
•Minimum 6 years experience with large enterprise-class distributed systems.
•Very good written and oral communication skills; articulation of concepts at logical and physical levels.
•Works well in a team environment.
•Willing to work flexible hours as part of support rotation
•Solid understanding of server virtualization, provisioning tools, SAN storage, networking.
•Retail, Distribution Center, Multi-Campus distributed systems experience a plus.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND COMPETENCIES-
* Solid knowledge of the PC (hardware and software) is essential.
* Ability to listen to what the user is saying and then interpret what he/ she is trying to get across.
* Ability to work autonomously and with a diverse team.
* Ability to communicate at all levels within the organization.
* Ability to present ideas and manage projects.
Date Posted: Dec 20, 2012
Functional Area: Information Technology
Company: The Home Depot
Position Type: Full-Time
Relocation Provided: No