Enter the base name or location (i.e. "North Carolina" or "Pearl Harbor")
|Army||Air Force||Coast Guard||Navy||Marines|
Lead Teradata DBA - Platform Engineering (77195)
GA - Atlanta
Do you want to be part of a thrilling revolution influenced by technology? The Home Depot is a $70 billion business-focused environment where you can contribute in a variety of functional areas covering all aspects of the consumer value chain. We are currently managing leading software packages and technology platforms to deliver creative results to our business partners and customers. We need people who understand how best to apply technologies to solve problems and develop innovative solutions. If you are looking for an opportunity to see instant, progressive, and substantial business benefits from your technology talents and experience, it’s the perfect time to join The Home Depot.
As an IT professional you have expert knowledge in one or more programming languages or databases. Because of your excellent understanding of the entire project life cycle, you have the ability to direct project teams in the gathering, design, and development of complex applications/programs. You get to work closely with and learn from the brightest minds to ensure proper system design. Your role ensures highest quality implementations from design through quality insurance to production. You anticipate hardware and software design needs to take pre-emptive action. Our IT professionals support multiple team members and other project leads in day-to-day activities related to project work.
The Lead DBA is expected to take a proactive role in monitoring resources such as application and platform logs for innovative approaches to ensure the overall health of the environment is highly performant, reliable and stable striving for a self-monitoring, self-healing data platform for the business to perform timely analytics. This role takes a lead role in ensuring the success of hardware and software upgrades, managing capacity planning/management and staying current on new data warehouse and application development technologies, including open source technologies (ie Apache Software Foundation). The right candidate avoids becoming a blocker but instead finds solutions for business problems with the goal of exceeding business time to market expectations. Automated tools will be expected to implemented in a consistent manner across both the Hadoop and Teradata data platforms.
The Lead DBA will be responsible for full life cycle development and support of Home Depot’s Enterprise Data Warehouse. Responsibilities will include physical design and creation of physical database, Work-Load-Management/Priority Scheduling, data & user security, performance tuning, enforcement of standards, data replication, documentation, capacity planning & trending analysis, backup/recovery, and 24x7 production support.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
• Lead significant technology challenges related to helping THD build a world class EDW
• Proactively identify issues and provide business case options to various levels of management
• Identify knowledge gaps and provide technical guidance/mentoring to EDW personnel to help grow talent
• Understand and apply advanced database administration, management and performance tuning techniques
• Provide advanced technical troubleshooting for applications and database systems with emphasis on root cause analysis
• Designs/Develops data movement processes/scripts
• Write and maintain documentation describing changes and modifications to all systems and databases
• Perform exports, backups and data extracts as required
• Research solutions to various business and technical problems, evaluate alternatives and be able to present recommendations and justifications to managaement.
• Creates tools that monitor and enforce standards and procedures
• Teradata certified master or equivalent
• Experience with enabling the delivery of BI solutions such as MicroStrategy and Tableau
The Lead DBA manages the physical data stores for the enterprise. This includes working with data modeling and development teams to put processes and procedures in place to create new databases, replicate data across platforms, monitor and manage the databases in production, perform tuning and SQL analysis, provide space estimates, grant data level access privileges and provide consultation to application development teams on design issues. The Lead DBA has expert knowledge about database platforms and independently leads the implementation for high priority and complex enterprise databases. Coordinate and lead the definition of database backup/recovery and security strategies. Responsible for mentoring and training other database administrators, managing task assignments for junior database administrators, reviewing work and providing input to performance reviews.
On- site and local perks:
• Choose from a variety of benefit plans designed to meet your individual and family needs.
• Take part in company Success Sharing – an incentive program based on sales performance.
• Receive Homer Awards” that lead to cash incentives for consistently demonstrating behaviors that reflect The Home Depot’s values.
• Work out at our on-site gym that offers classes and state- of- the- art equipment.
• Eat at our on-site cafeteria that offers a plethora of options or enjoy discounts at neighborhood restaurants.
• Pick up prescriptions on-site at the CVS pharmacy.
• Bank On-site at our Credit Union.
• Drop your child off at one of the largest corporate on-site daycare facilities.
MAJOR TASKS, RESPONSIBILITIES AND KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES-
Review physical database structures using complex technical skills based on physical design for development, test, and production environments.
Responsible for complex database performance tuning, security, database backup/recovery strategy, and implementing monitoring procedures to maximize availability of the database.
Mentoring and training of other database administrators, managing task assignments for associate database administrators, reviewing work and providing input to Manager.
Implement monitoring procedures to maximize availability and performance of the database, while meeting defined targets.
Provide consultation to application development teams on DBMS product technical issues, techniques and SQL review.
Coordinate with system engineers to configure servers for DBMS product installation and complex database creation.
Configure and maintain DBMS product software on complex database and application servers.
NATURE AND SCOPE-
Typically reports to Manager, Information Technology
No associates report to this role on a permanent basis, but requires the leadership of a work group: assign and review work, train and contribute to performance appraisal (but not hiring, firing or disciplinary action).
ENVIRONMENTAL JOB REQUIREMENTS- Located in a comfortable indoor area. Any unpleasant conditions would be infrequent and not objectionable.
Typically requires overnight travel less than 10% of the time.
• Must be eighteen years of age or older.
• Must pass the Drug Test.
• Must successfully complete any required training or orientation courses
The knowledge, skills and abilities typically acquired through the completion of a high school diplomas and/or GED.
YEARS OF RELEVANT WORK EXPERIENCE- 7+
PHYSICAL JOB REQUIREMENTS-
Most of the time is spent sitting in a comfortable position and there is frequent opportunity to move about. On rare occasions there may be a need to move or lift light articles.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills.
• Ability to present to audiences to include various levels of management.
• Proven ability to lead projects across multi-departmental teams.
• High degree of skill with database commands and Teradata utilities such as Manager, Administrator, SQL Assistant, TSET, Visual Explain, arcmain, TASM, etc.
• Teradata Certification (Master's preferred)
• Knowledge of Hadoop and other open source projects.
• Advanced knowledge of database administration tasks such as Database Console utilities, security, work-load management.
• Previous experience with issues around database, client tool, and hardware upgrades.
• Ability to write, debug and tune sql, macros, procedures, implementation of multi-value compression, etc.
• Experience with database monitoring and tuning tools such as Teradata Manager and PMON
• Experience with the unix operating system and command set as well as competence with shell scripting
• Five to seven years as a database administrator working with Teradata
• Experience leading projects/teams in a large, 24x7 environment
• Experience managing a large user base in a multi-terabyte, multi-application database system
• Ability to lead the development and management of database design standards
• In depth experience in security administration using roles and profiles mechanism
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND COMPETENCIES-
Expert knowledge of the complete software development life cycle.
Significant experience with operating systems software, networking tools, application development and multidimensional tools.
Expert knowledge of relational databases, logical modeling, and data warehouse.
Ability to work independently with minimal direction.
Ability to communicate to a wide variety of technical audiences.
Ability to lead and mentor others.
Date Posted: Jan 18, 2013
Functional Area: Information Technology
Company: The Home Depot
Position Type: Full-Time
Relocation Provided: No