Enter the base name or location (i.e. "North Carolina" or "Pearl Harbor")
|Army||Air Force||Coast Guard||Navy||Marines|
Job Title: Data Center Engineer
Department: LAN WAN Admin
Exact Job Duties to be Performed: The Data Center Administrator is responsible for delivering the highest quality technical recommendations, solutions and analysis relative to IT infrastructure based on current industry best practices and standards. The primary objective of this position is the technical administration of the division in direct support of IT infrastructure and engineering design, operational analysis and project management.
• Recommend and implement management tools and applications (software/ hardware) as necessary to further optimize the efficiency and management of the data centers relative to IT infrastructure, low-voltage cable plant, capacities, power and air-flow, etc.
• IT Infrastructure deployment Planning and Implementation within the Data Center.
• Advise management on technical recommendations, risk vs. cost, benefits and other impacts of IT infrastructure solutions.
• Assist the Data Center Manager with high-level technology planning and design, accurately defining short and long-term objectives and future resource requirements.
• Conducts research, recommends material requisitions, and crafts proposals as required.
• Drive data center best practice and relative industry standards into working processes and procedures as/where applicable.
• Develop standard operating procedures, recommend training and professional development as well as certification programs/requirements.
• Research and evaluate infrastructure strategies, hardware/software, security and networking products.
• Training program development for DCIT to meet minimum requirements for industry and GPI standards as it relates to working in GPI data center spaces.
• Assist in the development of process and protocols as relates to managed services and business partners to create operating and protocols as it relates to moves, adds and changes in the data center.
• Direct capacity and operational metrics analysis.
• Coordinates equipment installation and delivery schedules in accordance with set project plans.
• Directly participate and provide key input for all data center expansion, migration and decommissioning plans, both for local and remote site projects.
• Act as the Data Center Support Liaison to key architectural representatives and other Technical Support organizations as/when necessary.
• Works with all departments within the organization to complete objectives related to corporate initiatives and technology implementation.
• Produce and administer project plans as/when necessary.
• Responsible for the development, documentation and monitoring of performance measures and processes required for audit and operational compliance related to Datacenter best practices and industry standards; Responsible for ISO 27001 / 9001 and TIA/EIA-942 certifications.
• Produce and maintain a full set of standard and emergency operating procedures for data center.
• Ensure maintenance schedules within the Data Center align with best industry standards and are reviewed annually.
• Provide status reporting regarding Data Center service availability, performance, capacity utilization as required.
• Supports both the Physical and Virtual Infrastructure of the organization and its facilities.
• Assists with the tactical implementation of any technology project and provides on-going technology support.
• Maintains accurate inventory of data center assets.
Knowledge/Skills/Abilities: • Prior customer support experience is preferred
Required Qualifications Only: • Bachelor’s degree or equivalent of 5 - 7 years minimum Data Center infrastructure related experience and support
• In-depth knowledge of Data Center design, networking and low-voltage products
• Demonstrated networking experience including TCP/IP and Routing Protocols
• Experience working in Real-Time environment is a must with an emphasis on providing excellent customer service
• Candidates must be able to work beyond normal business hours
• Nature of position involves direct contact with situations involving high stress in an extremely visible environment
• Extensive knowledge base of all relevant industry standards and best practices